Area Healthcare Systems Again Named to ‘Most Wired’ List
Aug 21, 2015 01:55PM ● Published by MED Magazine
data security and patient engagement are top priorities for the nation’s
hospitals, according to results of the 17th annual HealthCare’s Most Wired
survey from the American Hospital Association’s Health Forum and the College of
Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME).
This year marks Avera Health’s 16th year on the Most Wired list, Sanford’s fifth, and UnityPoint Health’s fourth.
The survey of more than 741 participants, representing more than 2,213 hospitals, examined how organizations are leveraging IT to improve performance for value-based healthcare in the areas of infrastructure, business and administrative management, quality and safety and clinical integration.
At Sanford, bar-Code Medication Administration (BCMA) was further implemented and video visits were launched to connect patients with providers over a mobile device or computer for non-emergencies. Avera also recently introduced its own video visit system, AveraNow, a mobile video visit with Avera providers, available 24/7.
UnityPoint Health says it put IT to work creating “greater alignment between hospitals and physicians” and getting patients actively involved in their health and healthcare through a secure patient portal.
Among some of the key findings nationally this year:
• In 84 percent of Most Wired organizations, physicians can view and exchange other facilities’ results in the portal compared with 63 percent of hospitals surveyed.
• 76 percent use the portal and electronic health record (EHR) to exchange results with other EHRs and health information exchanges compared to 56 percent of those surveyed.
• 81 percent can communicate with patients via email or alerts in contrast to 63 percent of all respondents.
• 67 percent of Most Wired hospitals offer the ability to incorporate patient-generated data.
• 63 percent offer self-management tools for chronic conditions.
• 60 percent offer patient-specific education in multiple languages.
HealthCare’s Most Wired™ Survey, conducted between Jan. 15 and March 15, 2015, is published annually by Health & Hospitals Network.